Saturday, August 18, 2012

Fat and Boring

So it turns out I'm fat.

I have to change. However, I'm not sure what to do.

I mean, in one sense I know exactly what to do. I actually know plenty about healthy eating and exercise. I have tried again and again to jump-start myself unto a healthy track, but thus far my belly has been undeterred.

I have recently been thinking more about my health than I have in the preceding five years. I consider this a good thing. However, I now have a 1 year old child, a full+ time job, a full time school schedule about to start (and we're not talking theater arts here), and a smattering of other responsibilities to look after. Those are my external challenges.

But I know that the internal challenges are much more significant than the internal ones. I have to overcome myself. I know that only once I want to regain my health and fitness more than I want to sit in front of this computer or eat another slice of Hammer's Wholewheat Homemade Pizza will I begin to make progress.

Hopefully I've reached that point. I'm going to make a couple of small changes, and I'm announcing it to my vast audience so as to feel some vague sense of accountability. These are my new rules:

1. I'm going to not eat anything after 9 p.m., with the exception of stuff that grows on the ground, on trees, or on bushes if I really want a snack.

2. I'm not adding sugar to anything. Not coffee, not oatmeal, not even Kool Aid. Yes, from now on all of my Kool Aid will be bitter but colorful.

3. I'm going to do some kind of calisthenic exercise after dinner/before bed.

4. I am going to thoroughly stretch in the morning in the hope that this will eventually move me toward actual exercise. Inertia is my big problem in this area. 

That's it for now. It doesn't sound like much, and it's not, but I'm hoping that a few simple, achievable changes that I actually stick to will help me start to turn things around. I'm going to try and drop a note on here every week or so about how I'm doing with this stuff...so if this is the last blog you ever see me publish it probably means that I have failed at even these things and I'm too embarrassed to admit it. For those that know me and care, that would probably be a good indicator that it's time to organize some kind of intervention.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous18/8/12 17:25

    Would it help to know you are not alone? We are in the same place. With many of the same darn fat genes :) I love you. Keep up the momentum it might get me going then I can return the favor when you start to loose yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous18/8/12 17:56

    I too just found out I am fat it's something that just poped out of nowhere. Kind of scary to just sit there minding your own bees wax and BOOM your fat, scary world indeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Gabe!!!!!!! You know- just an FYI- thyroid troubles cause weight gain (or loss). the stress of the Army actually gave him thyroid disease....so he's HYPO (the kind that makes you gain weight). Anyhoo- I know the weight issue has long been a struggle (me too) and it's something they should check during your physical for disability. If you're always tired, sluggish...and diet and excercise with little to know results give it a shot. Other wise, I'm rooting for you!!!!!!! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should start working towards a goal like participating in a 5k run, or a Tough Mudder (http://toughmudder.com/) competition or something like that. That might give you some of the extra motivation you need.

    ReplyDelete